Mac -> Win problems

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Jul 27 11:25:42 EDT 2005

Charles,

I'm jumping in late in the game, and basing my memory of what you're
trying to do on my quick read through of your original message
yesterday. If I understand it correctly, you are trying to accurately
position some kind of diacritical markings above specific letters in
a text field? Let me suggest an alternative that might avoid the
cross-platform font metric issues. I did a project similar to this a
couple of years ago, in which I needed to position Pinyin tone marks
above vowels in romanized Chinese syllables. The tone marks were
images. I used the formattedWidth property of the chunk of text up to
and including the letter to be marked, then calculated the horizontal
distance from the edge of the card to the letter in question and
positioned the image there. For example:

|                 _________________
|<- left of card  |chunk in fld    |
|                 |<- left of fld  |
|                 |                |
|                 |                |
|                 _________________|

If I wanted to position the mark over the "u" in "chunk" I would use
     the left of fld "myfld" + the formattedWidth of char 1 to 3 of
fld "myfld"
as the baseline x value, then by trial and error find the proper x
and y adjustments to get my image to display at the desired spot.

This method should work regardless of font and size because the
formattedWidth takes the current font settings of the chunk into
account.

HTH

Devin

Devin Asay