Saving a Standalone

David Goldman dgoldman at mailblocks.com
Tue Jul 26 15:07:37 EDT 2005

I'm attempting to add a bit of "smarts" to the Save As Standalone
function. When I save a standalone to the same location on my hard
drive, If Revs finds a previous folder with the same base name, it
dutifully increments the number. I.e. if I have a few previous
versions I get a set of folders like this (assuming the base name is
"revstack 1.0a"):

/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a/
/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a1/
/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a2/
/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a3/

etc.

Now inside each of these folders is the actual application saved
under the base name - something like this:

/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a/revstack 1.0a.exe
/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a1/revstack 1.0a.exe
/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a2/revstack 1.0a.exe
/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a3/revstack 1.0a.exe

What I want to do is include a version number (which is stored in a
field in the stack) as part of the application name. so I could get
something like this:

/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a/revstack 1.0a12.exe
/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a1/revstack 1.0a13.exe
/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a2/revstack 1.0a14.exe
/Users/myname/Desktop/revstack 1.0a3/revstack 1.0b1.exe

(I'm not too worried about the enclosing folder at this point - but
that might be nice too...)

My basic approach was to use a shell command to rename the file with
my version info. I was going to use the Standalonesaved msg to
automate the whole thing, but ran into a problem in that the
standalonesaved msg doesn't return the increment number that
revolution adds to the enclosing folder (Desktop in this case) - i.e.
I don't know how many previous versions might already exist in the
directory I'm saving to. This makes deriving a path much more complex.

I suppose I could use  a shell script to delete any folders that
might already exist with the base name and then things might work...

Any comments/suggestions/help would be appreciated. (Oh yes, I'm on a
Mac OS X and saving Windows Standalones...)

Thanks, David