Disappearing Objects

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Tue Jul 26 21:16:24 EDT 2005

Hi Joe,
     Had similar problems at this end of the country when I started
converting HC stacks two years ago.
     In Rev the menus are obviously designed to be added to new, single card
stacks. If your stacks already have multiple cards, there will be problems:
     1. If you add a menu to a single card, it will not appear on other
existing cards. It will only appear on new cards.
     2. If you do the logical thing and put the new menu into the existing
background (imported from HC), the menu will appear on all cards (of that
background). BUT the stack will resize on opening, sometimes shorter, sometimes
taller.
     3. If you do the next logical thing and try to set the size of the stack
in a preOpen handler, it will not work. BUT you can reset the size in an
openStack handler.

     Based on my experience the best thing to do is:
     1. create a single card Rev stack (delete all but the first card from a
copy of your stack)
     2. build your menus
     3. import the data, creating new cards as needed
Sounds like the long way to do things, but will actually save you much time.

     By the way, check out the RevNavigator in the plugins folder in the
Development menu. This wonderful tool from Geoff Canyon will let you see and
adjust layers of objects on a card, background, or stack. Coming from HC you are
accustomed to a single fixed background, Rev can have multiple groups with or
without "background behavior" - the navigator is about the only way to know
where you are. I would have been lost without it.

Paul Looney
San Dimas, CA