revDocWiki

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 26 18:23:42 EDT 2005

Chipp Walters wrote:

 > Dan Shafer wrote:
 >> The docs are already in XML. Jerry Daniels has written a parser for
 >> them that gets used in his Transcript Gadget.
 >
 > I should mention the parser Jerry modified (and I did too, and even
 > perhaps Mr. Sanke as well) originated from Richard Gaskin's generous
 > contribution for his help stack for MC. Thanks Richard!

My pleasure.  And thanks for the thoughtful mention.

I'm a big fan of both XML and the Rev object model, and I'm rather
addicted to the Dictionary. My revised Dictionary shell attempts to
deliver the best of both worlds:

XML is a great format for authoring, as it allows the individual topics
to be moved from team member to team member for authoring and review.
But as we've seen, indexing and parsing them on the fly is, well,
suboptimal. :)

It's hard to beat Rev's native object model for efficiently traversing a
body of work like this.  Even with nearly 1500 entries the mcDictionary
loads about as quickly as the XML-based one that ships with Rev, but is
significantly faster for moving document-to-document, since you're only
going card-to-card rather than loading files from disk and parsing XML
CDATA on the fly.

Jerry's done a wonderful job extending the mcDictionary stack, adding a
lot of geat new functionality and a nifty Rossi-esque look.

Since it only takes less than a minute to import the data into the
stack, I hope one day we can see that incorporated into Rev's automated
build process and have it shipped with the product. Jerry's is certainly
worthy.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal