Another Doc Thought

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Tue Jul 26 10:54:36 EDT 2005

On Jul 25, 2005, at 11:47 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> But if we could teach the art of dissection, the people could learn
> from existing code without need as much explanation.
>
> Am I dreaming?
>
> I learned so much dissecting HyperCard and SuperCard examples,
> almost as much as the dictionaries.  Never really read much of
> anything else from either of those products but the dictionary and
> sample code.  Maybe that's helpful, or maybe I'm just a freak.

I don't think you're a freak. But I think: (a) probably not many
people learn this way, at least in the early going; and (b) this is a
difficult skill to teach, perhaps more difficult than programming.

>> (BTW, there's another issue for me that probably doesn't concern
>> anyone else. When people on the list contribute free
>> documentation- like things -- tutorial stacks, how-tos, etc. -- I
>> want at one and  the same time to applaud loudly and groan
>> quietly. Because, you see,  if someone ELSE is writing something
>> on the same topic and perhaps  putting in a lot of effort and time
>> and energy with the hope of  selling the product and someone else
>> comes along and offers something  -- even if not quite as good or
>> complete -- for free, it crushes the  spirit if not the market. A
>> clearing-house for volunteer effort would  help avoid such things
>> but that begs the question of who would set up  and manage such a
>> thing.
>>

> I can't imagine there are that many potentially in conflict.  Maybe
> the RevDocs group could be used for that?

It doesn't take very many. One or two "false starts" like that can
discourage someone with less masochistic tendencies than I have. :-D

Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.revolutionpros.com, Click "My Stuff"