Praise: Rev Documentation to the rescue

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Mon Jul 25 21:12:48 EDT 2005

Chipp,

Not tongue-in-cheek, but direct analogy.  I have seen more excuses
for why we don't have an easy path for newbies than a porcupine has
quills.  We don't need to excuse the state of affairs --that is just
giving permission to keep the status quo.  We need a plan to improve
things.

I get the distinct impression that many actually do not want to see
the exclusive club of knowledgeable Transcript programmers expand to
quickly by having good docs.  It almost appears to be a conflict of
interests between professionals who want to keep the highly
productive club small because it is their competitive advantage and
the non-professionals who want to see the user base grow for the
benefit of all.  Also tutorials and other tools provided by
professionals seem to be a sort of advertising that might be lost if
the docs were first class.

Don't get me wrong, I am very appreciative of the free and low cost
tools and tutorials developed with much sweat and time by many on
this list.  I also appreciate the help with questions on the list.  I
just sense this reluctance by some --and for good reason.  A group
effort to improve the situation will have a cost/reward ratio that is
different and will require rethinking strategy for some.

I just want to lay this out on the table instead of leaving it half
unsaid.

I other words, when writing a tutorial brings in business, traffic to
the web site, reputation, accolades, etc. a lot of energy can go into
making such contributions.  However, if a group wiki approach was
used, would all the energy from the most knowledgeable users dry up?
Maybe yes, maybe no.

I believe that an undertaking to improve the docs by the user
community needs the most knowledgeable professionals to contribute.
So we need to make sure that it is done in a way the still delivers
much of the benefits to them of the present system.

So the question in my mind is not IF, but HOW to proceed.

Dennis