Legal, Ethical?

Mark Greenberg markgreenberg at cox.net
Mon Jul 25 18:37:44 EDT 2005

A few times on the list people have mentioned or posted a stack that
reads part of a web site's HTML, formats it, and displays it for the
stack's user without opening the default browser (e.g., a stock quote
or pictures from Google).

As an educator, I saw potential there.  I experimented with pulling
current news stories from the Internet, formatting them for language or
social studies assignments, and having the students work on those
lessons -- all without opening a browser.  Though I haven't fleshed it
out yet, my experiments show that it is possible to do.

I would like your opinions on whether it is legal and ethical to do
this.  It seems to me that, on the one hand, the stories are offered
openly on the web and that what I'd be doing isn't much different than
what a browser does; on the other hand, the journalists and
photographers did not give permission for this type of use.  What do
you all think?

By the way, I am in the US, so the Fair Use clause of the intellectual
properties laws might apply in a school setting.

		TIA,
			Mark Greenberg