Rant Re Rev Documentation

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 25 01:19:16 EDT 2005

Tim, Judy,

To be fair I didn't respond to this part of Tim's request/rant because
I thought it would be too daunting. It would be nice to have though. I
always learn best by example. Sarah's stack on serial commands was very
helpful, also some of the stacks/ideas that I found most helpful were:
window shapes
serial commands
drawer examples
password/encryption
picture sliders/progress bars
gif buttons/animated
geometry hints and help
player and quicktime and video grabber
rotate images
speech recognition and text speaking
application icons
screen saver/backdropper
file path and preferences
tabs and how they work
text manipulation/hypertext
printing/pdfs/export to file
XML/tree view
menus/ pop ups
Unicode (the one thing I have yet to get to work right)
Games/Colliding objects/moving balls
drag and drop- internal and external
Audio/wav/mp3 - recording and playback
Midi
Chat/Email

and Nine Ball has been a great group learning experience.

Maybe if we had a stack format like the ones used in the online
conference stacks then these could be cleaned up and included???

I started a Speak and Listen stack and would be interested in helping
where I can.

Tom McGrath

On Jul 25, 2005, at 12:58 AM, Judy Perry wrote:

> Well, how about it, folks?
>
> Judy
>
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Timothy Miller wrote:
>
>> Maybe someday, many dictionary terms could be linked with mini-stacks
>> that actually demonstrate the use of the command, property, function,
>> object or whatever described in the documentation. These could be
>> downloaded by the user at need, or downloaded all in an archive, for
>> local retrieval by the documentation stack, as needed. (I assume the
>> onboard documentation is a stack.) The mini-stacks could be donated
>> by Rev-loyal users.
>
> <snip>
>>
>> I just can't understand why Rev hasn't done all of these things
>> already. It might be a somewhat daunting task, but it's minuscule
>> compared to the trouble it took to build Rev in the first place. If
>> it's too much for Rev's overworked staff, they could get 95% of the
>> work done for free. All of the items I've mentioned could be
>> submitted by users to a wiki. Of course, Rev would need editorial
>> control of the wiki to keep out errors and vandalism. Even the
>> editorial control of the wiki could be delegated to experienced and
>> responsible volunteer users, who could check each other's work, and
>> so on. Professional developers could be allowed to place
>> self-promotional links in their wiki contributions.

Macintosh PowerBook G-4 OSX 10.3.9, OS 9.2.2, 1.25 GHz, 512MB RAM, Rev
2.6

Advanced Media Group
Eagle Works Art & Sculpture
Semantic Compaction Systems