Why choose Revolution

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Sat Jul 23 16:04:21 EDT 2005

Jose,

for what it's worth...

Im an old MacOS-only fan and now i work in NT enterprise
developping software based administration tools to manage
a very large network of NT servers, data storage systems,
archival, backups and more (including active directory).

All this is possible in Rev. Compared to the orthodox
languages (realbasic, vbs, .net, java, etc...), there is
overall a real pleasure creating or designing apps in Rev.

 Why?

The language is just "natural" and there's little it cant
do. Also it's directly interfaced into and within the
GUI so it works "directly" - not through a tedious
compile cycle. So the KISS principle in Rev is by far
the best advantage you can have - do test=run. Fixes
are 10X easier (compared to C like languages).

On the downside, Rev lacks a lot of PC development tools.

threading, native 3D, more inklevels, real 32 bit alpha
channels ;) - just a matter of time before it comes...

access to the COM objects is missing as well so most of
ll the horrible restricted Windows APIs - which are usually
disregarded or not fully compatible but surely in the fixing
as we speak - Rev works hard for you!

Think You are in a sandbox?
While you can't benefit from "scripting" a native Windows API,
open file dialogs and the like are available but not the file trees
but nothing is preventing you from doing them! And many of us do
so with much more panache! An overal win win situation.

if you think rev is not oop, think differently...
And object oriented object-reuse is as easy as copy-paste in Rev!
Inheritance too (but GUI based, not memory object-oriented [yet].

An you can always write your own DLLs if you need so.
If you do (and note this involves a C compiler - gcc
works apparently, VB6 and up should work no prob),
then anything, i mean ANYTHING is possible.

But it wont be crossplatform - unless you
write a C external in OSX. This is no surprise but
the real surprise is that for 99.9% of the cases, you
dont need an external, you write it in transcript and
it will work on all platforms the same.

I exagerated a little, maybe... some things dont always
work as expected - happens in all IDEs. But there's
a nice and simple way out for every situation in rev...

And the mailist has over 305% of all the answers possible!
Im not kidding, even the gurus admit to learning something
new each day. We're humble, but we kick scripts in any one's
teeth in no time! ;)

And we get about 2 to 4 upgrades a year, not to mention
an ever quicker increasing number of tools to help you
and which most of us share freely or for a modest fee.

Rev allows you to use any standard you want, built-in
or not, etc. So there's no problems banking on it. It's
solid - but it does have many idiosyncraties that keep
baffling most users at one point. And for that there is
what not many other language offers - a great mailist and a web
interface for bug management - at the user level - it's great...

Rev has it's troubles like many but it is also driven
to make a difference - i can switch to ANY language i
want since 5 years ago, im glad im still with Rev ;)

Alas, management hasn't seen it that way yet ;)

For the comparison between licenses, it requires a
little reading in the
products or downloads sections (see purchase, etc...)
in the http://www.runrev.com web site, The mothership.

im the man behind http://MonsieurX.com - not the best
example of rev stuff, quite experimental but surely
a great place to see lots what rev can do and lots of
Rev links to find even more... I think i dont have them
all but i thrive to add new ones when possible!

Im also developing a radically new data-mining and
knowledge management framework in Rev. I wouldn't
even think about it if Rev wasn't up to par...

It would take me about 10X more times in any other
langauge... Most other IDEs are not capable of handling
"it" actualy...

sorry, im a little speeded - was just at a BMW z3 coupe
meeting in Spa francorchamps - the race circuit we love!
Some real racers and great hotdogs or frites and beer too!

Including a 360HP Z3MCoupe racer for sale at just 42KEUs!
That's cheaper than a stock Z3M back when you could buy them!
The carpet is gone though - not street legal either...

And that springs a dozen new ideas for stacks to flourish ;)

Enjoy the ride!