Place vs copy

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Jul 23 14:12:51 EDT 2005

Mark Wieder wrote:
> All-
>
> I'm trying to apply some optimization techniques learned from the
> online scripting conferences. And running into snags.
>
> "Placing" a group instead of copying and pasting it seems to turn its
> background behavior on. Is there something similar for non-background
> groups? Here's what I'm faced with - I'm currently pasting between
> some 100 to 300 copies of a single group onto a card. Is there a
> better way to do this than copy-once-paste-many?

You should definitely be placing the group onto the cards in this case.
Having 300 copies of a group will not only inflate the stack size, but
you'd have to make any changes to it 300 times if you want to alter
something.

Setting the backgroundbehavior of a group which has been placed on many
cards makes sense (it changes the message path, which is usually what
you want with a shared group.) But if you don't want group messages to
happen after the card messages, then just turn off backgroundBehavior
after you are done placing the group on all the cards.

Why wouldn't you want backgroundBehavior in this case? Does your stack
create new cards on the fly where you don't want the group placed?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com