Well that was a weird bug...

Lynch, Jonathan bnz2 at cdc.gov
Fri Jul 22 14:17:11 EDT 2005

I just figured out the strangest thing...

For a program at work, I have a stack and a substack.

The stack sends a message to the substack. In part of the handler in the
substack, it copies a group from one part of itself to another part of
itself.

When you copy a group, the id of the new group is placed in the 'it'
variable.

If the substack is open, then RR gives the new group a proper ID, and
everything works properly.

However, if the substack is closed, then RR gives the new group an ID of
0 - which is a problem if you copy more than one group like this,
because they all wind up with the ID being 0. As you can imagine, this
causes all sorts of weird behavior when other scripts try to reference
these groups by their IDs.

Anyone ever seen this before?

I found an easy work-around for my situation, and now I know to look out
for it.