Indexing mail list messages

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 10:32:11 EDT 2005

On 22 Jul 2005, at 13:55, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Did you have a regex that could handle these
> words with punctuation?

No regex, but I've used this sequence of replace calls in the past.

     replace quote with space in tData
     replace "(" with space in tData
     replace "[" with space in tData
     replace "{" with space in tData
     replace ")" with space in tData
     replace "]" with space in tData
     replace "}" with space in tData

     replace "," with space in tData
     replace ":" with space in tData
     replace ";" with space in tData
     replace "." with space in tData

     replace "?" with space in tData
     replace "!" with space in tData

     replace "*" with space in tData
     replace "#" with space in tData
     replace "/" with space in tData
     replace "`" with space in tData

However, you should probably give this some thought. For example, if
you replace  "." and "/", you will break up urls which may not be a
good idea in all situations. In that case, it might be better to just
replace a "." that is followed by a space or return.

   replace ". " with space & space in tData
   replace "." & return with space & return in tData

The reason for replacing with an equal number of characters is that I
understand it's much faster. (From previous discussion on the list.)

Cheers
Dave