Project Registry

david bovill david at openpartnership.net
Fri Jul 22 07:15:13 EDT 2005

In brief - as deadlines today:

Scrum / Product / Sprint catalogs all come from the synthesis of
software project management methodology known as Agile Development -
heavily influenced by the better known extreme programming  ideas. Good
starting point as ever is Wikipedia - I'll put up some links and PDFs
on the weekend.

Shards is a particular contract / digital currency that is based on the
theory and software implementation of Ricardian Contracts - which is
the work of a friend of mine Ian Grigg from Systemics Inc going back to
the days of David Chaum / DigiCash. There is plenty of badly presented
text on the web about this which I'm currently working on to gather the
bits into one place.

On 22 Jul 2005, at 03:09, SimPLsol at aol.com wrote:

> David,
>       It has been a full day, sorry it has taken so long to reply.
>       You used some terms with which I am not familiar: Ricardian
> contract, shards, Scum / Agile Development, Product Backcatalog, and
> Sprint Backlog. Enlightenment is appreciated.
>       Why would one want to split the revenue instead of the profit?

It is an interesting option, which avoids a kind of "man in the middle
attack" - that is what is to stop the management from taking the
revenues and paying themselves unjustified fees? Revenue share is more
transparent, and has been used relatively recently by large financial
institutions (Hilton Group / Pension Funds) to raise finance in a way
which binds all parties together in a common purpose (finance and
project) - decreasing certain risks which arise from conflicts of
interest with the more usual profit / finance models. Probably not too
clear but best I can do in 10 minutes :)