XML questions

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 02:50:22 EDT 2005

--- Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:
> All-
>
> I started playing around with the revXML functions
> today instead of
> just rolling my own as usual, and a few questions
> came up:
>
> 1. There seem to be many functions for reading and
> parsing XML files
> into the proper format and they seem to work fine
> after enough
> fiddling with them, but very few functions for
> writing data. There
> still needs to be a fair amount of packaging data
> for the addElement
> and addAttribute functions. There doesn't seem to be
> any support for
> CDATA tags unless I'm missing something. Is there
> something I missed?
> Do I still need to encapsulate this in my own CDATA
> tags?
>
> 2. What in the world is revXMLAddDTD for? I know
> what a DTD is and I
> can validate my xml tree against a DTD, but why
> would I want to add a
> DTD to an existing XML tree?
>
> 3. I take it there's no support for xml schemas
> here, just DTDs.
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder

Hi Mark,

Your remarks are quite accurate. I use the library
mostly for reading data, and write the XML by hand.

1. My favourite command for writing to a tree is
revAppendXML, as this allows me to toss in a chunk of
XML data, and have it parsed into the tree instantly.

2. I'm not entirely sure about revXMLAddDTD either. I
presumed it would mean spitting out the tree into text
would insert a reference to a DTD, but it didn't.
Maybe further testing will show that this is meant for
embedding a DTD into your tree.

3. There's no support for XSD, XSL and all those other
goodies. But I know they're on the RR radar, and the
more people request them, the higher the chance to get
them sooner.

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>