Automator?

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Fri Jul 22 00:51:07 EDT 2005

Hi Richard

No, not really. For one it's Mac ONLY and second with TAOO in mind (because
i know its capabilities can do this within Rev) I could do this in Rev on
all platforms and across different script languages (if not real languages).

The idea is nice though. But still it's just another approach to
AppleScripts (is Apple rethinking itself again?) without them which means
you will have to wait until the App makers develop this capability in full
(or is this already done via Applescript?)...

My intermediary revScript Contest entry was built based on the taoo (an OOP)
model and supposed to work like these automators using almost any keywords
(assuming you've built the methods and objectual functions for the class
you're using).

Unfortunately, doing control statements in a dynamic fashion proved a bit
more tortuous than i had intended for the contest - though it's not
impossible... And the xml-form (though ugly) gives me a couple ideas to
resolve this issue ;)

Definitely interesting - but for a limited market which no PC or linux user
will see the benefit (95% of the market still?). Meanwhile a rev based
solution for all-platform solutions could be implemented quite easily...

Sorry but as a multi-national, multi-OS aware power user, i fail to see the
benefit of a single platform solution. As with most life situations, the
analogy with tourism springs to mind: a bilingual tourist will definitely
fare better and farter than a monolingual non-native tourist in a foreign
country... In rev terms, my taoo solution will work with VBS objects or
applescript objects and even this automator should i build a TAOO
class-manager for it. I find that much more useful than a single-os
technology with a limited product-lifecycle (will Automator still exists in
OSX v15? After 15 years, TAOO rocks on with the same technology while others
had to reinvent the wheel each time... I just copy pasted my scripts and
most just worked right of the bat in Rev!

Im sure if Apple started making more cross-platform tools like they have
done with QT, they would gobble more market percentages (thanks to their
great GUIs). Surely you dont want to be confined in a tourist bus to
discover europe in 7 days when you could instead discover the real europe
and its many cultures equipped with a universal translator and make "real"
contact with the outside world - Europe or whatever country you visit! ;)

Just me two economist's euro-cents... No offenses meant - just marketing
realism. Critiques welcome!

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com