PC/x-platform development (was Re: embed/install font)

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Jul 21 10:43:07 EDT 2005

On 7/21/05 9:04 AM, "Brad Borch" <brad at activadesign.com> wrote:

> Ah, but I only have the Mac development platform. I guess that argues
> for me to get the PC platform.
>
> Which raises a couple of points:
>
> 1) I got tired of paying Macromedia for the right to develop on two
> platforms. Every time Director upgraded, I had to shell out another $800
> for the upgrade on both platforms. I'm glad that Rev Studio on the Mac
> creates xplatform executables, but it sure would be nice to have both
> platforms included in the purchase of the product.

Brad, AFAIK you can use the Mac version of Rev Studio to build for both Mac
and Windows - you just don't get the development environment for Windows
(which makes debugging a bear). Rev Enterprise gives you everything -
development and deployment on ALL platforms (including Linux). Didn't know
if you knew that...

> 2) As the development platform depends on the player, would it be
> possible to create a limited development stack that would basically
> allow the testing of commands (like you list below) that would be
> interpreted by the player?

Yes - just build a Windows standalone from the Mac version of Rev Studio and
test it under Windows.

> I guess the issue comes down to this: In director you could get away
> with creating movies that were playable on a PC using a "stub" projector
> (essentially a player). It was doable, but troubleshooting was a real
> PITA. I'm thinking the same it true of Rev?

Yes it is definitely doable, in fact the "stub" approach is a good one for
other reasons - you can't write data back to a standalone, so if you want to
store data in a stack, it needs to remain a stack file.