NPR puzzle

Glenn E. Fisher gefisher at mac.com
Thu Jul 21 09:31:28 EDT 2005

Sarah,
On July 20, 2005 5:26:37 PM CDT you wrote:

>> A 10-letter word for a form of travel, that consists of five
>> consecutive symbols of chemical elements. What is it? If automobile
>> had been the answer, AU, would represent Gold, MO would represent
>> Molybdenum, and BI, would represent Bismuth. Unfortunately, the
>> remaining bigrams, TO and LE, are not chemical symbols.
>>

>> I have put up a stack with two fields. The first contains all 10
>> letter words in my dictionary.
>>
>> The second contains all two character elements from the periodic
>> table.
>>
>> You task, should you choose to adopt it, is to write a Run Rev
>> handler to solve this weeks NPR puzzle defined above.
>>

> Before reading everyone else's solutions, I had a go and came up with
> more or less the same script as anyone else. What intrigues me is that
> there would appear to be 2 ways of tackling this problem and everyone
> chose basically the same one.
>
> You can either go through the word list and see if any match the
> elements, or you could go through the element list, making
> combinations and matching them to the words. I discarded this idea
> because the maths involved in working out all the permutations &
> combinations has long since flowed out of my brain, but I wonder if
> anyone else thought of using this method? Instinctively I feel it
> would take longer, but there are 3620 words and only 97 elements.
>
> Thanks for the puzzle Jim, just what I needed to get the brain moving
> first thing in the morning!
>
> Sarah
My first try at a solution was to form random combinations of 5 symbols
and checking
to see if it was in the dictionary.  But, alas, it took too long to
even find words,
so I went for the finding of words in the dictionary take matched the
any 5 symbols.

Fun problem,
Glenn
--
Glenn E. Fisher	University of Houston - Retired
22402 Diane Dr.	Spring, Tx 77373