NPR puzzle

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Wed Jul 20 18:49:40 EDT 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 6:26 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> You can either go through the word list and see if any match the
> elements, or you could go through the element list, making
> combinations and matching them to the words. I discarded this idea
> because the maths involved in working out all the permutations &
> combinations has long since flowed out of my brain, but I wonder if
> anyone else thought of using this method? Instinctively I feel it
> would take longer, but there are 3620 words and only 97 elements.

If I remember right, that would be 97! / 5! x (97-5)!. And that -- if
I'm *also* getting the arithmetic right -- would mean 64,446,024 ten-
letter words to check. Looks like everyone's instinct to go the other
way was sound.

Charles Hartman
Professor of English, Poet in Residence
Connecticut College