newbie-menubar problems

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Wed Jul 20 18:35:40 EDT 2005

Hi Joe,

I see are using Mac OS X. Rev does weird things with menus in OS X to
try and make them fit into Apple's guidelines. Mostly this works very
well but you have to know what's happened. In the Rev Help menu, go
to Topics and read the section titled "Menus & the menu bar". This
gives lots of info about menus in general and what is different about
OS X menus.

> Problem 1: In order for all my menus columns to appear I need to
> have a
> "phantom" help menu on the end that I don't want.
Sorry, this seems to be obligatory. The Help menu also needs to
contain your About menu item which will actually appear in the
application menu 2nd from the left.

> Problem 2: I want to add "Select All/A" to the edit menu and it
> won't let me
> add anything after the traditional cut, copy, paste, clear. What
> stupid trap
> did I fall into?
I guess you don't have a Preferences menu item? The last 2 items of
the Edit menu (normally a divider and Preferences) are chopped off
and the Preferences menu item is access through the application menu.
Even if the last 2 items are not a divider and Preferences, they will
still be removed from the Edit menu. Put them in and you'll be able
to add whatever you want above them.

Similarly, the last 2 items of the File menu are removed. These
should be a divider & Quit. This can be a problem if you only have a
Quit item in this menu as it then appears empty which is most
disconcerting for the user. I always make sure I put something as
well as Quit in the File menu, even if it is only replicating a
button click.

HTH,
Sarah