Project Registry (was Ransomware)

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Wed Jul 20 18:05:25 EDT 2005

It looks to me like the basic idea of ransomware is that the
developer takes a risk in writing the software, and puts a ransom
price on releasing it to the public domain or a date in the future
for release if the ransom is not met before then.  He can get his
ransom through sales or donations.
No third parties are involved or needed in this case (except for a
channel to pay through to make the ransom accounting legit).

However, what we have been discussing is not then technically
ransomware.

I like what we have been discussing better --at least the version
where a third party holds the cash up front while the app is being
written.  That way the developer does not have to take a risk on the
vagaries of the marketplace so his price can reflect the lower risk.
I think it also suits the intended audience of users of Rev tools
better.  The author also wins in that he/she gets a new tool also.
The last two tools announced could possibly have fit into this model
(as big projects).

Dennis