NPR puzzle

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Jul 20 17:56:49 EDT 2005

Alex-

Wednesday, July 20, 2005, 11:55:38 AM, you wrote:

AT> 2. moved the "delete char 1 to 2 of daWord" to after the if test (no
AT> need to delete them if you are about to exit the loop).

Interestingly, the "delete char 1 to 2" approach works slightly faster
than just moving the char pointer. I would have thought that the extra
overhead of deleting chars would be much slower. Apparently the
deletion is handled just by readjusting the start-of-line pointer.

Nonetheless, working from the end of the string ("char -2 to -1") in
the repeat statement and the deletion statement also shaves off a few
milliseconds.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net