[Slightly OT] Ransomware as a Model for Rev Toolmaking?

david bovill david at openpartnership.net
Tue Jul 19 18:05:53 EDT 2005

It's always refreshing to come back to this list.

I've been on a journey exploring financial models for open source and
Creative Commons content creation and community building... currently
involved in applying the concepts talked about here to open software
and digital film and video content production.

And of course Revolution is the heart of this for me - the Revolution
will not be Televised - currently playing :)

The ransom model is one way of phrasing this, while there is much talk
in Creative Commons circles of "alternative compensation systems". For
my part I prefer the term "commissioning currencies" or "creative
currencies" - these are secure digital currencies which can be used in
complex collaborations designed ultimately to create open software,
while in the process ensuring that developers get paid or at least a
fair slice of any revenues that the project creates.

I am currently in Vienna and working for a new startup Community TV
Station with parallels to Current TV in the states (launching August
1st). Over the next 2 months we will be working to embed a secure
currency framework within Revolution to allow just this sort of
collaboration.

Currencies are not the only element required to make this work, a
robust legal framework (based on LLP or LLC partnership models)
combined with good project management infrastructure is also needed to
avoid dilution of value (quality) and an open but legally robust
dispute resolution framework are also needed if this sort of
collaboration is to seriously facilitate quality software or creative
content production.

Continue the  thread!