External for running one instance on windows

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Jul 19 10:30:33 EDT 2005

On Jul 18, 2005, at 10:47 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Trevor-
>
> Sunday, July 17, 2005, 12:25:01 PM, you wrote:
>
> TD> I don't know what a critical section is so it made the decision
> much
> TD> easier :-)
>
> <g>
>
> As I understand it, they're almost the same thing - mutexes work with
> multiple threads in an single application, critical section objects
> work with multiple threads in a single process. It doesn't help things
> any that "critical section" is also used to refer to the code governed
> by a mutex.
>
> Here's a fairly concise, albeit microsoftian, writeup:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/
> dllproc/base/critical_section_objects.asp

Ah, thanks for the info.  When I searched for how most window
developers handle having only one instance mutex objects seemed to be
the most popular.  I guess this makes sense seeing that mutex applies
to apps and critical sections to a single process.  In any case, it
was much easier to implement then I thought it would be.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com