MatchText and PCRE

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Mon Jul 18 21:32:36 EDT 2005

The documentation says to see the PCRE manual for regular expression
syntax. The PCRE manual refers to certain properties set as part of a
C program. Consequently, I am unsure of the answers to the following
four questions. True, I can experiment to see how these currently
work but that will not answer the question of whether those
behaviours are modifiable, so I am seeking answers before I dive in
to using matchText.

Is it greedy? If so, is that reversible and how?

Does the dot match newline? If not, can it be made to do so?

Does a pattern like ".*" match empty? If not, can it be changed?

Is case-sensitivity in matchText affected by Rev's caseSensitive
property? It appears not. Is case sensitivity settable?

thanks
David