imageSource images don't refresh if binfile type?

Jerry Daniels jerry at daniels-mara.com
Sat Jul 16 12:39:27 EDT 2005

Have this every happened to YOU?

I've got a field with lots of images in it, thanks to the imageSource
property. Since all the images are in a folder, I'm using the syntax:

     set the imageSource of char x of fld y to ("binfile:" & theFilePath)

Works great. Works fast.

But wait...there's a dark side.

When the file that is being referenced by that imageSource call changes
content (but not it's file name!), the image in my field will not
reflect that new image content on screen as it is in the file. It's as
if the image data is being cached somewhere and I can't force it to
refresh.

I've tried (in order of increasing desperation):

    - putting empty into the field and re-drawing everything
    - setting the imageSource to empty and then back to the binfile
reference
    - setting alwaysBugger to false/true
    - setting butterHiddenImages false/true
    - making a standalone and trying it there (same result)
    - reading the documentation
    - reading every conceivable archive we have on the subject

It's all quite mysterious. There's file-related image data somewhere in
memory and--although the file data has changed--it remains the same
when reference to it is made.

Any ideas?

Jerry