[ANN][EN][FR] New Sophisticated Plugin from So Smart

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Jul 15 12:23:38 EDT 2005

and Eric Chatonet <eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com> (July 15) wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
>
> Good idea.
> Thanks.
> We have to wait for version 1.1
>
> I take the opportunity to tell how much are important all ideas and
> feedback from advanced users or beginners too.
> I don't make these tools for me...
> So all comments which can help me to improve the job are welcome.
> Nevertheless don't be too rude.

Hi Eric.

I appreciate your open-mindedness and your valuable contributions to the
Rev community.

Hope I am not too "rude" when I direct your attention to my "SearchDocs"
stack.

This documentation search stack indeed allows simultaneous searches (as
an option) of Dictionary, Faqs, and Topics - the Cookbook is not included.
Search time through the about 2000 XML-files takes an average of 200
milliseconds, so there is no need "to get some coffee" while having to wait.
This search time includes displaying all found lines with the
searchstrings colored (as in your plugin) and providing full links to
the involved XML files at the same time (so you can instantaneously view
the found lines in full context).

I did a test search with your and my tool seaching the Dictionary for
the term "abbreviated". The results differ, because you might apply a
different search algorithm?

Result for the "Resource Picker":

"3 related entries found" (containing 32 lines according to my count)

Result for "Searchdocs XML 2.6":

"43 found lines in 17 XML-files"

Different versions of my "Searchdocs XML" can be found and downloaded
from <http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>, page "Samples and Tools for
Development" or "Screenshots" (with commentaries and screenshots).

Direct download of the latest version for Rev 2.6 is
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia/Software/SearchDocsXML26-Rev.zip>.

All versions have an update button to adapt to new Rev versions and
changes of the XML-files.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke