Quickly find out if database is available

Ton Kuypers tkuypers at pandora.be
Fri Jul 15 07:10:18 EDT 2005

Hi,

Is there a way to find out if there is a mySQL database on a specific
ip-address?

The question seems strange, but the reason is obvious: I have a mySQL
database running on 2 servers and if the primary is not running, I
need to switch to the second one.
I can try to open a connection to the first one and on failure try to
open the second one, but due to the timeout of this "try to connect"
action, this takes to long.

I need to to do this using OS9, OSx and Windows application...

Warm regards,

Ton Kuypers
Digital Media Partners bvba
Tel. +32 (0)477 / 739 530