help with loading audio clips into a stack

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Jul 14 18:09:11 EDT 2005

> This is exactly what I need but the only thing is I don't want user to
> play songs from his/her hard drive.  I want to import 9 songs in the
> stack and they can only play 9 songs,  and I don't want them to copy
> these songs into there hard drive, because these songs are copyrighted.

Well, what may not be news to you is that anything that is played over the
computer's speakers can be captured and saved, regardless of whether or not
the files reside on the drive.

That being said, AFAIK you can't get good playback control without using a
player object that references external audio files.  Combine this with the
previous comment that any audio delivered with the stack will be loaded into
memory, potentially eating up a lot of space (are the songs full length, 3
to 5 minutes each?).

If you deliver the songs with the stack, you might write them out to the
temp directory before playing and then delete when done.

Or, instead of including audio in the stack and and writing out to the
drive, you might consider storing the audio on the Web and accessing the
files with a player object via URLs (makes for a smaller stack).  Again, not
a foolproof system for copy protection but a little less accessible than
placing on the drive.

Trevor Devore or Klaus Major might know some more tricks here.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Development & Design