on the topic of eMails (was Re: 1st time Revolution user question)

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jul 14 16:31:25 EDT 2005

Andre Garzia wrote:

> so let us talk about solutions. I'll begin with the best one I can
> remember which is:
>
>     (1) Shao Sean libEmail and libSMTP libraries. Shao Sean created
> this two gems that can to lots of cool things. The libEmail will
> generate an email enclosure (will not send, but generate the chunk
> that is the email) with MIME, Attachments and whatever you want.
> libSMTP will take care of sending the email. It works fine!

and can be found at
http://dark.unitz.ca/~shaosean/pages/development.htm

> Now the reading email part... err... I never done this, I like
> sending mails, not reading them :-) I can think two ways only!
>
>     (1) I do think Sarah created a libPOP library that can do POP3
> reading. and I think someone on the list actually used this on a spam
> filter.

Yes, I did that (on RevOnline under my username alextweedly). Sarah's
library was very helpful - can be found from URL Andre gave (
http://www.troz.net/Rev/index.html)

Again, we have to ask Andre's question - what kind of email do you need
to read, and what do you need to do with it?
Sarah's library is purely a POP3 library - it doesn't cover MIME
decoding (and I didn't need to for my Spam handler, so I didn't write
one either).

>     (2) Let the client default app fetch the mails, parse the mbox
> file. There are two standards for storing emails, mbox and maildir.
> Both are easy to parse.

Being careful that many mail apps don't use either of the standards -
e.g. the new Apple mail app, Eudora, Opera, OE, ...

Good luck ....