maximizing the stack/card

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jul 13 15:28:46 EDT 2005

Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>

>> What should the desired behavior be?
>>
>> I was unable to find a discussion about handling maximizing properly
>> in a quick glance at the Win HIG.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwue/html/ch07d.asp
or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/windowing/windows/windowfeatures.asp

Both of which say (paraphrased)
"by default a maximized window is full-screen, but the app can choose to
make its maximized size be smaller or even larger than that"
 and also
"full-screen [taken] to exclude the system or appropriate application
defined toolbars".

>> Your guidance on where I can find that would be much appreciated.
>>
> No idea what, if anything, MS's HIG says - but I can tell you what
> every (*) Windows program I've used in the last 10 years does - it
> maximizes the window to cover everything except any non-auto-hide
> taskbar. So if the task bar is set to auto-hide, then the window
> covers the entire visible screen; if not auto-hide, it covers the
> complete rectangle which doesn't overlap the task bar.
>
> (*) every means literally every program I've used except Rev; I'm not
> aware of

So given that the HIG says you can do anything you like, the current
behaviour is within the guidelines :-). But even if it's within these
very loose guidelines, it's still different from every other app I know,
even those which have toolbars, and therefore is confusing.

Jon said:

> And explaining to a user why my software does not work like other
> Windows software just seems to be a waste of everyone's time.

I don't think that'll be an issue Jon - when outside the IDE, it behaves
like I'd expect - maximize gives full-screen, and adjusts for the system
task-bar.