Buggy debugger -- solved?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jul 12 17:06:51 EDT 2005

On 7/12/05 3:40 PM, Timothy Miller wrote:

> The gist is, the debugger works fine in stack scripts, but I am not able
> to debug any background script. I'm talking about bg scripts that work
> perfectly, every time.
>
> If I move any background script to the stack script, the debugger works
> perfectly. I can replicate the problem, every time. If I split a
> sequence of handlers between a background script and a stack script, I
> can debug those in the stack, but not those in the background.
>
> Is this a bug or a feature? Is it well known? Documented? If so, where?
> If it's a bug, has it been reported? Has it been fixed?

It sounds like another anomaly with your stack; I've never had any
problems debugging background scripts. If you create a new stack with a
single shared background you will probably find that it debugs
perfectly. I'm afraid these very old HC stacks have their own
personalities. If the stack was created with HC 1.0, even worse. :(

One test you might try is to create a new mainstack with a new
background group. Copy your bg script into the new group. Then see if
the debugger works there.

Another thing to try: copy your bg script to a word processor. Look for
unusual characters. BBEdit is good because it can show you invisibles.
Remove everything that isn't strictly ASCII text, then paste the script
back into your background and see if it behaves any differently. HC used
to add some junk you couldn't see sometimes.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com