different UI approach

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Jul 12 13:47:04 EDT 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 9:18 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:32:25 -0600
> From: Devin Asay <devin_asay at byu.edu>
> Subject: Re: different UI approach
>

> On Jul 11, 2005, at 5:31 PM, Erik Hansen wrote:
>

>> --- Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:
>>

>>> My inclination is to agree with you, Dan,
>>>

>> agree with the agreement, but...
>>
>> it -felt- good.
>
> Whoa. It drove me crazy! I hate an interface that tries to guess what
> I want to do. A click is a quick, easy event to generate. Interfaces
> that respond to mouse points feel like waving a loaded gun around
> without quite knowing just when it will decide to fire.

Yes!! FWIW, that's exactly how it felt to me too. Thanks for putting it
in words

I think it's evil, like horizontal scrolling (Note: I even keep the
dock on my Mac on the left side instead of the bottom ;-))

Actually, I think a little circular motion with grow buttons would be
cool (a circular dock? -- circular menus?). But I still need to fire
the gun (click) if and when _I_ want to do it.

All the best,
Ken N.