Script editor - non-existent changes.

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jul 12 13:46:17 EDT 2005

One of the things that has annoyed me, on and off, about the script
editor is that it will ask me
  "Do you want to apply the changes .....
   [Apply]   [ Cancel]  [Don't Apply]"

even when I didn't think I had made any changes. Today, it got annoying
enough for me to investigate (rather than just curse under my breath and
carry on with what I was trying to do).

The revScriptEditor script contains

>   if pTheKey is among the items of "65361,65362,65363,65364,65360" then
>     -- navigation key, arrow, home, end, change selection
>     selectionChanged
>     pass rawKeyUp
>   end if

Any other key will set the "modified" flag, and force the question to be
asked when the script editor is closed.

So it looks to me as though:
1. regardless of what the comment says, the "home" key is in the list,
so it doesn't set the flag; the "end" key isn't, so it does set the flag
2. Even "unimportant" keys will set the flag (e.g. Ctl, Alt, etc.)

Am I missing something ?  Can ctl or alt affect the content of the script ?
is there anything different between home and end keys that would require
this to be different ?

I can (probably will) just change it and see what happens - but there
are too many key combinations to trust any results from simple testing,
so if anyone has answers to these questions it might save me some time.

Thanks,