different UI approach

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Jul 10 18:23:14 EDT 2005

My inclination is to agree with you, Dan, but I do remember the
absurdity of the mouse at it's inception, and how difficult it was to
'get used to' by the mainstream.

Here are a couple observations...

- You don't get 'mouse finger' (I get it all the time).
- You probably get 'mouse wrist' if you used it often
- Strong learning curve for gestures
- Without gestures, you end up removing an existing dimension of
interfaces (the click). Think about how you would select text with
gestures...ouch!
- It seems to work better with 'dynamic' environments which change as
you navigate through them. Flash seems especially suited. But, as we all
  know, changing app environments are particularly 'high' on the GUI
'nono' list.

-Chipp