documentation mini-bug

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Jul 9 19:11:22 EDT 2005

Alex-

Saturday, July 9, 2005, 11:15:03 AM, you wrote:

AT> Most annoying thing is the difficulty of choosing a component - it
AT> always amazes me how many components there are, and *still* there isn't
AT> any obvious one to assign to the bug I'm reporting.

Yep. Sometimes I just have to find something close and figure that
whoever is in charge of processing these things will assign it to the
proper category.

AT> and everything else is just overhead.  I've taken to "reporting" these
AT> via Web Notes, on the assumption that anything reported in there will be
AT> rolled into the next release of the docs.

Unless I'm missing something, if you post something in Web Notes it
overwrites anything anyone else may have posted there. That's strike
one. Strike two is that, as far as I can tell, there's no way to
search Web Notes, so using it to report bugs is fairly ineffectual.
You have to know that there's a Web Note bug report waiting and then
go to the appropriate entry and then view the Web Note. I'm not at all
sure that anyone at runrev pays attention to the Web Notes, at least
in terms of using them for reporting missing items and such, and that
may be strike three - it certainly never occurred to me to use Web
Notes for this purpose. I know what you mean about the overhead,
though.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net