Intersecting data question/challenge

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Sat Jul 9 10:33:52 EDT 2005

On Jul 8, 2005, at 10:57 PM, Buster wrote:

> Hi Raymond, Dennis and everybody else,
>

> The way proposed by Dennis is indeed the fastest on not too large
> amounts of data.
> So it is only fair to test the other way around too and try Dennis
> proposal on the same amount of data on which Raymond used his handler
> Raymond's handler is a neat trick.
> Though it is at least 2 times slower than a replace + split  method.
>
> Greetings,
> Wouter

Wouter,

Nice script for comparing the different methods.  However, you have
changed the original problem from a true/false test if there was a
match of any items in two arrays to returning an intersect of the
data.  That is Ok and a useful operation to understand, but it does
skew the results in a different way.  If I apply the original
criteria, the repeat for each completes as soon as it finds the first
match.  With the random data in your example, that usually happens in
much less time than than the other two methods.

Dennis