debugger

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Jul 9 00:22:50 EDT 2005

Alex-

Friday, July 8, 2005, 6:21:34 PM, you wrote:

AT> The other thing to watch our for is that stepping *out* of a function or
AT> handler also, I think, requires you to use the "step into" button.
AT> It's (IMO) a very misleading label on the button - it really means step
AT> to the next statement even in a different handler context - either
AT> entering or leaving.  (Hmmm - I can see why they didn't call it that :-)

IMO this is one of the biggest bugs in the debugger. I can't tell you
how many times I've accidentally stepped over an "end handler"
command. I really think the proper behavior here would be to step to
the next executable line, no matter which button was pressed.

BTW: have you noticed the added button in the v2.6 debugger? If you
change execution contexts and then click the button to the right of
the execution contexts window the code window will switch to the new
context.

AT> One more thing to watch for - closing the debugger/script window is
AT> equivalent to clicking "Run" !!
AT> Since you no longer have the debugger control window open, what can it
AT> do but try to continue. Makes some sense - but caught me out often until

Makes a lot of sense, actually... I'd hate to have my script paused
waiting for me to press a "step into" button in a debugger that I had
already closed.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net