mark cards by finding -- new insights

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Fri Jul 8 18:05:12 EDT 2005

>Hi Timothy,
>
>Le 8 juil. 05 à 23:11, Timothy Miller a écrit :
>
>>I'm not thrilled by the prospect of trying to isolate the problem
>
>But it's the only way to solve the issue.
>I can't tell you how many times I have created a
>*new* stack with *new* objects and the portion
>of code which made problems in another stack.
>I can't tell you how many times I have found by
>this way that the problem was elsewhere :-)
>
>Best Regards from Paris,
>
>Eric Chatonet.

I am sympathetic, Eric. If it's me and not Rev, I
want to know it. If it's a Rev bug, I'm now a Rev
loyalist, so I want Rev to know it, and if they
don't have the resources to isolate it, I'm
willing to help, up to a point.

It would help if I could get the damned debugger
to work. Could you toss me a clue? It sure
doesn't act like the hyperCard debugger.

It works fine on, for example, a simple mouseUp
script in a simple button. However, if the button
sends a message to a handler in a stack script
(for instance), which then sends another message
to another handler, nested or not, the debugger
won't follow along. "Script debug mode" is
definitely turned on. Step Into, etc., are absent
and/or dimmed out, typically. Sometimes, I can
see the script window open, several windows back,
but I can't get to it until the script is done
executing. I've tried setting multiple
breakpoints in each handler, tried setting
breakpoints by script. The script rolls right
past them.

The instructions say, "The breakpoint command has
no effect unless the stack is running in the
Revolution development environment." I'm using
DreamCard. Does DreamCard count as the
"revolution development environment?"

Once again, I tried to read the instructions but
they did not tell me what I need to know. I
consulted Dan's book, too. Most of it seems
intended for a less experienced user. Yet I am
more or less a novice myself.

If I must continually discover how Rev works by
trial and error, because of inadequate
documentation, 10,000 silent Rev users are
silently giving up. Rev doesn't need that. For
heaven's sake! It's advertised as a product that
is easy for people like me to use. It isn't. It's
hard.

It would be easy for me to use IF the
documentation would give me a concise explanation
of some item when I needed concise, and a
detailed explanation when I needed detailed,
abundant examples when I needed them, and so on.
I hope that comes along pretty soon.

Best regards from California's Big Central Valley,

Tim