Intersecting data question/challenge

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Fri Jul 8 17:06:46 EDT 2005

JB,

You are right in that if I already had the lists setup as keys in an
array it could run faster.  In that case your example below with a
repeat loop runs about the same speed as my original example with a
repeat loop.  However, using the intersect command instead of a
repeat loop would run 4-8 times as fast as either loop version and is
fast enough to use for my intended purpose as a direct test to see
which blocks of code to execute inside a large loop.

Unfortunately, an array is not an easy thing to use as a constant to
check against.  I would have to pre-build all my arrays beforehand.
If I have to do that, I might just as well build an execution test
matrix using the simple lists as parameters.  I just wanted to avoid
one more level of indirection for the sake of speed (I have so many
already).  However, I think I understand some new tricks now with
your help and from Eric, Alex, and Chris.

Thanks,
Dennis