Making Revolution faster using dimensioned arrays

Marielle Lange M.Lange at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 09:09:43 EDT 2005

>I also use the current array capabilities and do not want to lose
>anything we have.  In fact I am in favor of expanding them further.
>What I propose is a different array organization that is optimized
>for execution speed and space efficiency at the cost of a more
>restricted organizational flexibility.  The restrictions would only
>occur if you wanted to make this tradeoff for a particular array.
> And if we had an array OBJECT, we could subclass it to get what we
> really want.

I reacted on the fact you proposed a c/c++ solution....

>This is an interesting concept.  Would an array object have a
>spreadsheet as its visual representation?

When I pointed to SQL, I was hinting to the same idea. But I am only a hobbyist
programmer, I can only stir a debate and let others express things better than
I can ;-).

Marielle

Dennis

I would be interested to know if in you timing test, you also tried using a
variable rather than an array.

repeat for x in (trows)
 repeat for y in (tcolumns)
    do something on (variable & "_" & x & "_" & y).
 end repeat
end repeat

+ what if you store all rows in one array rowdata[1] and all columns in another
one columndata[1]. You then reduce the dimensionality and perhaps access time.

Marielle