mark cards by finding -- a problem

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Thu Jul 7 19:04:22 EDT 2005

Jacque replies:

>On 7/7/05 5:34 PM, Timothy Miller wrote:
>
>>  It's hard to imagine why
>>
>>  find <whatever> in <some container>
>>
>>  would work, but --
>>
>>  mark cards by finding <theSameThing> in <theSameContainer>
>>
>>  -- wouldn't work.
>>
>>  It's even harder to imagine why the "mark cards by finding..." command
>>  would work right in one script, or stack, but not another.
>
>It could be some text anomaly. I'd suspect an invisible leading
>character in front of the patient name in the field or something
>like that. "Find" only finds the beginnings of words, "find string"
>finds the string anywhere. So if "find string" works, then there
>must be a non-matching character at the front of one of the words.
>
>I know this doesn't make sense if "find" works okay without marking,
>but it is something to check anyway.

That's a good thought. I did check for leading and trailing spaces,
and extra internal spaces. That wasn't the problem. Invisible
characters might have been an issue.

However, I just checked out the possibility of invisible characters.
Variable patientName originates in another field, in another stack. I
went back to the original field, used the msg box to put empty into
it, and then carefully retyped the name that becomes variable
patientName.

No change. "mark cards by finding..." still doesn't work. "mark cards
by finding string..." still does.

I just checked out the possibility that somehow the script inserted
an invisible character into the variable. The number of characters in
the variable patientName is as it should be.

Would some invisible characters not get counted in --

answer the number of chars in patientName   ?

Keep on smiling,

Tim