Embedded fonts

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Wed Jul 6 14:24:49 EDT 2005

On Jul 6, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Robert J. Earp wrote:

> Welcome back Andre !!
> It was nice meeting you in Monterey and I'm happy you and your new
> PB had a great time in Hawaii, although visions of you twirling poi
> in a grass skirt are a bit scary ;-)
>
> We spoke about the ability to embed fonts into runtime stacks and
> you said you thought it could be done.  Have you had any more
> thoughts on the subject ?
>
> As an encouragement to Kevin & Co. to help support you with
> something meaningful, embedding fonts is absolutely essential for
> us to distribute multi media projects without having the hassle of
> loaders.  We use custom fonts for a whole variety of purposes, a
> lot of the time not even to display words (simulation/animation of
> technical stuff), plus there is a very easy way to do this with the
> competition (TB) that actually has a not too bad interface!!
> Oh yes, and for the copyright issue, somehow TB takes a look at the
> font  properties to see if it is legally copyable before allowing
> it to be embedded.
>
> I can send you a sample screen shot of the TB interface if you'd like.

Assuming you have the rights to the fonts, lets focus on how this can
be done.  Store the fonts in a custom property and spit them out to
the appropriate directory for each OS.  This is really easy to do for
Macs.  If you take a look at RevNet, you can download CS Fonts
Installer.  It will give you an idea of how this can be done.
Windows requires certain registry settings to be made.  I have not
taken the time to figure those out.  Maybe someone here has and will
be able to provide the needed changes.  A workaround is to use an
installer for your Windows fonts.  I make the installer for the fonts
and them suck that up into a custom property.  Spit it out and run
the installer if your app finds the needed fonts to be missing.

I have done the above and it works perfectly.  Let me know if you
need more details on this.  If you would like to see it in action,
just write me off list and I will give you a code to unlock the fonts
we sell.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software