Where are my sub-menus?

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 5 17:16:51 EDT 2005

Richard,

No, this is happening with normal applications but it is an OS
preference. If you don't use certain menu items in MS Outlook then they
are hidden from view (not really gone) and they are replaced with a
blank line with a double arrow at the right hand side that when pressed
will then reveal the items missing. It is a problem. But worse is if
there are certain items at the top of a menu and at the bottom of the
menu then you have two blank line with arrow access items. it really
gets confusing.

I have seen it in every new XP computer set to 'On' by default.

Tom

On Jul 5, 2005, at 1:05 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Jon wrote:
>> "What application and which of its menu items do this?"
>> Well, the OS, for one.  The feature is called Personalized Menus.
>> The doc says "Personalized Menus keeps the Programs menu clean by
>> hiding items you haven't used recently, while still keeping other
>> programs easily accessible.  You can gain access to hidden programs
>> by clicking the down arrow at the bottom of the Programs menu".
>> Similar "features" are provided with other MS products, like Office.
>> Yetch.  Bletch.  Yuck. Good for  casual users, but death to anyone
>> with decent reflexes and physical memory.
>
> Ah, I see.  It's not like this is happening with normal application
> menus; the Start menu is a special case.

Macintosh PowerBook G-4 OSX 10.3.9, OS 9.2.2, 1.25 GHz, 512MB RAM, Rev
2.6

Advanced Media Group
Eagle Works Art & Sculpture
Semantic Compaction Systems