Embedded objects in fields

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Tue Jul 5 12:11:58 EDT 2005

Not if Lind, Johnson & Sandblad are correct.

In fact, I rmember being in a situation many moons ago in which I was
failing a third semester calculus class (working my way up from an "F" to
a hoped-for "C").

As I had eventually noticed that my instructor tended to just take exam
problems that were in the text, I all but memorized the textbook and, when
the final exam (which I aced!) arrived, as I saw each problem, I could
pretty much tell you the following about it  with relationship to the
textbook:

*roughly where in the text it was
*whether it was on the left page or the right page
*whether it was near the top, middle, or bottom
*what color ink it was in.

Part of what makes books (Rev and Dan: are you listening???) more usable
than online docs is that, over 600 years or so, we have developed layout
and organizational conventions for books that allow us to use them more
effectively because we can automatically process some of the task
components of reading.

BTW, I love HCI threads!

Judy