Button leaving behind droppings

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jul 5 09:35:27 EDT 2005

Eric Chatonet wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Could not we call that an IDE worrying dysfunction dedicated to
> programmers?
> There's a little chance to encounter this feature in any standalone
> or even in any stack normally used :-)

Actually, I encountered this in  "normal" stack usage :-)   The Mac
version of the problem (only droppings from selection handles) I might
consider an IDE-only problem, but on WinXP it leaves behind remnants of
the edges of the button itself, even with "Suspend Dev tools" in place.

I was thinking about the Space Invaders game mentioned by Nicholas, and
thought I'd play for 5 minutes. The easiest way to handle the "player"
in SI was to create a button, give it an image and have it move
horizontally to track the mouse - and immediately I saw the problem.

OK - once I investigated it a bit, I discovered that making it not be
the default button cured it, but it took me a little while playing with
different option settings on the button to find that.

So it's certainly not a serious problem - but it's definitely a problem,
and if I had been developing on a Mac, I wouldn't have known that on the
PC an "unselected" button has this bad habit.