PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Jul 3 17:40:36 EDT 2005

Goal: Show PDF's inside a Revolution QT player object with PDF
hyperlinks clickable.

Tests so far, can someone confirm? (even better tell us how to do it)

1) Create PDF spread of two pages of a magazine, source is IDCS2,
target format is Acrobat 7.0

2) open Rev, create player object, point the player to the PDF file..
it appears... And, what is even better... on zoom in (scale up) the
text looks really great!

again.. check the PDF.. The hyperlink is working, it's hot, click and
it will open the web site in acrobat, or your browser (your choice)

hypertext link.

:-( player object goes blank...

OK ? is it QT or Revolution? Let's find out....

5) drop the PDF with hypertext link on QT Player... it opens...
hyperlink is not there. But QT will at least show the file as a
single movie frame.

6) back to Revolution, Toggle the filename of the player object between
     a) the same page/PDF  with no links: it appears in Revolution
      b) the same page with one hyperlink: player goes blank.

Conclusion: Revolution will not import the PDF with an embedded
Hypertext link into a QT player object.

Our expectations for inter-application file format interoperability
here are probably just "out of this world." so much so that to call
this a bug would be unfair to the Revolution engineers... after all I
don't ask Acrobat to make chocolate chip cookies and then find out it
doesn't work and call tech support at Adobe.  But the trouble with
Revolution is, it tends to give you this sense of "We can do anything
we want."

I guess finding a way to map PDF hyperlinks to hot spots with linked
URL in the QT player is asking a lot.. but I thought to pose this
question to the forum of the more experienced. I have seen a few here
some who seem to be deep into the PDF file format...

TIA

Sivakatirswami