resume rev backdrop on top bug?

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 1 10:17:50 EDT 2005

Jim,

The backdrop feature is found under the view menu as a convenience when
working in Rev. You can also script it in the IDE and a Standalone.
set the backdrop to "black"
set the backdrop to lightblue
set the backdrop to none

Use colorNames to get a list of colors that can be used with backdrop.

It is meant to cover any size screen regardless of size. That makes it
a feature since you would not have to know the users screen size at
all. My experience has been that it works great in a standalone but is
strange to use in the IDE where it covers things up most of the time.

You can of course role your own using a window as a backdrop and that
should work well in you desktop in your IDE but you would have to
handle different sizes if you ported your stack to someone else's
desktop. It is the lack of having to resize the backdrop that makes it
a feature. Now, That might not be a bad enhancement request, but I
would rather see other enhancements first and just continue rolling my
own for specific situations.

Hope this was helpful,

Tom

On Jul 1, 2005, at 7:51 AM, Jim Bufalini wrote:

> I'm not sure if what's being talked about here is the same thing, but
> if in
> the IDE, if you turn backdrop on (not even sure where in Edit ->
> Preferences
> I did that), it covers everything, even the taskbar and the only way
> to get
> to any other program or your desktop is to minimize Rev. Is this the
> "feature" being talked about? If it is, I find it extremely annoying
> and
> would vote to be able to size the background, like ever other program
> out
> there (in the PC world anyway). So, what's the number to vote for?
>
> Jim

Macintosh PowerBook G-4 OSX 10.3.9, OS 9.2.2, 1.25 GHz, 512MB RAM, Rev
2.6

Advanced Media Group
Eagle Works Art & Sculpture
Semantic Compaction Systems