A list mom post

Heather Nagey heather at runrev.com
Fri Jul 1 08:12:23 EDT 2005

Dear list members,

It's been some time since I made the usual listmom remarks here, its
probably time for a reminder. Also there have been a couple of threads
recently that could do with addressing.

Our list settings are set to protect your email addresses. These should
be obscured when messages are posted to the web archives. There may
still be routes for Google to find some addresses, I'm not sure but
there is very little we can do about it if so. In general there does
not seem to be a problem with addresses being harvested from our lists,
I think it is a rare occurrence and not very easy to do. You would have
to be subscribed in order to do so.

This list is here for folks to help each other use Revolution. It is
user driven. Runrev staff monitor it and may respond from time to time,
but if you have a question you want to get a response direct from
Runrev on, you need to write to support. Everyone here is donating time
and advice for free, and deserves thanks and appreciation for doing so.

We have a large and active community, spanning a huge range of ages,
personalities, expectations and outlooks. This means that courtesy and
consideration are essential when posting here. If you think so and so
is a skunk, his opinions suck, his approach to programming appalls
you... you are entitled to your opinion. Please don't post it to the
list :) If you have a different viewpoint to present *relevant to
programming* which you think may be of help to other people, that's
great - but do it politely and with at least the appearance of keeping
an open mind. As we all know, religion, politics and cheese are all off
topic and inappropriate to this list.

This list plays a vital role in keeping us at Runrev aware of the
general state of the community and how well we are fulfilling your
programming needs. However its worth restating that inevitably a list
of this nature will have a negative bias. People rarely write to a
discussion group to say "I completed a project today in a third of the
time it would have taken me with any other tool, it works perfectly and
I don't need any help". They write when they have a problem, or they
want to vent. Often, the problem turns out to be in their code, or is
readily solved, and its great that the list is here to help in that
situation. Nobody should be afraid of asking for help in case it turns
out it was just a typo in the code, that's what we're all here for and
we've all done it.

But something that may be worth a thought before you post your next
rant titled "Revolution Sucks Eggs!". Your post and its title is going
to live forever in the archives, visible to all and sundry, including
newbies. The resolution of your post "oh no it was me, I have egg on my
face now" will not be so visible, because the subject line of your
abject apology will still be "Revolution Sucks Eggs!"

Moving on to list mechanics, if you get duplicate posts from the list,
it means you are subscribed with more than one address. (Well 99% of
the time it does, unless you have creative email rules set up so they
duplicate posts for you... naming no names ;)). If you do have more
than one email address, and you are at all likely to post from all of
them, I recommend subscribing all of them, then setting all but one to
nomail. That way you won't get duplicate posts and you won't get held
for moderation when you post from the wrong address. The list software
only recognises you from your email address.

You can adjust your settings, subscribe and unsubscribe here: