Socket timeout not working with libUrl

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Fri Jan 28 06:43:21 EST 2005

Hi,

My product pings the Web Photos Pro website to look for new versions.
This works great when the computer the product's running on is
connected to the internet, but it hangs for 60 seconds when there's no
net connection.

My code looks like this:

   set the socketTimeoutInterval to 5000
   put URL (getPhotoAlbumUrl() & "downloads/version_info.php") into
newVersion

Is there any way I can force a timeout after 5 seconds?  Should I be
using a non-blocking URL request?  Should I be attempting to open a
socket directly to do an initial "am I connected to the internet?"
request, before making the URL request?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,
-- Frank

Web Photos Pro: Software for Photo Bloggers and Other Photo Power Users
See us on the web at http://www.webphotospro.com/