Getting User Email Settings

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Jan 27 17:05:04 EST 2005

Dan-

DS> Is there a way in Rev to retrieve from the user's settings files
DS> somewhere the name or IP address of the user's default SMTP server? I
DS> need a solution for both Windows and Mac (OS9 and OS X).

DS> On OS X, I am looking further to see if perhaps this information is
DS> always in the same place in Preferences but on Windows I suspect I'm
DS> going to have to dig into the Registry (shudder), for which I don't
DS> seem to find any Rev code.

There's *nothing* in the Windows registry that would give you this.
It's application dependent - you'd have to figure out the default mail
app and then get the app-specific info from that. You *can* do that
through the registry if you need it, but it's less than generic. I
take it you need something that the standard revMail commands or a
mailto: url won't do for you?

FWIW, my smtp server can be extracted from the default user stored in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RIT\The Bat!\Default mailto User

The default application ("M:\thebat.exe" %1) is in
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command

but getting from here to there absent any other information is
anything but a slam dunk. Note that my mail app is stored on a network
drive rather than locally, just to throw another monkey wrench into
the works.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net